WordPress Quick User Guide
The following explainations are provided to help you manage your WordPress website.
HOW TO LOGIN TO YOUR WORDPRESS ADMIN
1. Login to the your website by adding “/wp-admin/” to the end of your URL in the address bar of your browser. For example, if the URL of your website is “http://www.newcastlewebsite.com.au” then your WordPress login page will be “http://www.newcastlewebsite.com.au/wp-admin/”
2. Enter the username and password that we assigned to you. If you’re not sure what it is, please email us (email@example.com..au) and we’ll look it up for you.
3. Once you’re successfully logged in, you’ll be taken to your website’s “Dashboard.” Notice the big “W” in the upper left corner of the Dashboard with your website name just to the right of it. Your name up there is a link to your website. Click on your website name to go to your website homepage. When you’re at your homepage, you’ll see a gray navigation bar across the top of your browser window which will be visible only when you’re logged into the site.
MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR PAGES (see below for Product page editing)
1. Navigate to the page on your website that you want to change. While on the page, look for the button in the top gray navigation bar that says “Edit Page.” This will take you back into the Admin to the screen to edit the contents of this page..
2. Make any changes needed on your page and then click the blue button on the right that says “UPDATE.” This will publish your changes and you’re done.
3. To see your changes, click on the PREVIEW button on the right of your screen (just above UPDATE).
4. When you’re done editing your website, log out by clicking on your username in the top gray navigation bar and select “Logout” from the menu.
CREATING A NEW PAGE IN WORDPRESS
1. Login to your Admin
ADDING A MENU LINK IN WORDPRESS
1. Click Appearance / Menus in the LHS menu
HOW TO MAKE CHANGES TO PRODUCTS
Follow steps below to add a new simple product or watch the video.
See below for a screenshot of your product page. Please follow detailed instructions to add a new product.
1. Click on the PRODUCTS menu on the left to call up a list of all the products on your website.
To Edit a particular product click on the product name. The screen below will appear
To create a new product click on Add Product menu on the left.
2. Product Name
Enter a product name. Make sure it is not too long.
3. Product Descriptions
Each product has two descriptions. A Detailed Description and a Short description (scroll down to see this). Editor tools are available so you can format the descriptions such as Bold, Italics and Font colours..
Number 3 above shows the detailed description that shows under the product.
The Short description is found under the Price Data (number 4 above). The short description will typically show up next to the product image, price and add to cart.
If you have a Simple product EXAMPLE 1 with only one price you add the price in the Regular Price field.
If you have a Variable Product with more than one price for each product (eg t-shirt colours) then your Product Data will look like EXAMPLE 2 below.
EXAMPLE 1 - Simple Product = one price
EXAMPLE 2 - Variable Product with many prices per product (eg t-shirt colours or sizes)
Click on (a) Attributes to change the colour or size options
Click on (b) Variations to change the prices
Click on the #number (circled in red belwo) to access the price field
5. Assigning Categories and Tags
With each product you must assign categories and tags.
6. Product Image
Click on Set Product Image to add a product image.
Drag and Drop new images into the Media Screen to add new images.
Typical image size is 800pixels x 800 pixels at 72dpi. (Square images always look best)
7. Short Description
Typically appears next to the product image, price and add to cart
8. PUBLISH or UPDATE button
Always remember to click the Update button after you complete your work to save your changes to your website.
After you have saved your work always check it on your website to make sure everything is correct.